The fallout from the Adria Tour has been a snowball affect of bad news. Grigor Dimitrov revealed a positive COVID-19 test on Sunday, followed by the cancellation of the Zadar final between Novak Djovovic and Andrey Rublev.
On Monday, five more from the Adria Tour event have tested positive for the virus including Novak Djokovic, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki. Alexander Zverev, Donna Vekic and Marin Cilic said they tested negative, but will self-isolate.
Not only did the ATP players compete against each other, they also took part in off-court events, including a basketball game ahead of the matches in Zadar.
Dominic Thiem, who played the Belgrade leg, tested negative in France where he was competing in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown.
Djokovic, the face and organizer of the Adria Tour, shared a statement on Tuesday.
"The moment we arrived in Belgrade we went to be tested. My result is positive, just as Jelena's, while the results of our children are negative," the statement read. "Everything we did in the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region."
Twitter has been full of news and reactions:
????????♂️????????♂️????????♂️ Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’ speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE. https://t.co/SUdxfijkbK— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) June 22, 2020
Prayers up to all the players that have contracted Covid - 19. Don’t @ me for anything I’ve done that has been ‘irresponsible’ or classified as ‘stupidity’ - this takes the cake. https://t.co/lVligELgID— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) June 23, 2020
I told my water it was very handsome anyway— Tennys Sandgren (@TennysSandgren) June 23, 2020
It’s just not okay. Reckless and disappointing that they thought tennis deserved the risk https://t.co/pkbnISTv6i— Noah Rubin (@Noahrubin33) June 21, 2020
Where all them Djokovic fans that were attacking me last week after I said we should prioritize health before the amount of people we can bring to a slam ? I’m tryna see something ????????♀️????????♀️????????♀️????????????— Sachia Vickery (@SachiaVick) June 21, 2020
Wait djoko is the guy who was engraged at USO for only allowing 1 entourage in, but ok with Qs, wheelchair, juniors etc to be cancelled but lobbied HARD for more of his team to be able to go. The men’s tour DIRECTLY IMPACTS THE WOMENS TOUR before anyone starts #tennis #Djokovic— Tara Moore (@TaraMoore92) June 22, 2020
Many were shocked at the lax restrictions at the Adria Tour's first stop in Belgrade two weekends ago, where there were few masks in the audience and no social distancing amongst the players.
Serbia had a relatively low rate of the coronavirus, but the worst case scenario is unraveling quickly. Tennis is still making a cautious return. In Charleston, 16 WTA players will compete in the Credit One Bank Invitational. Over in England, the Battle of the Brits will feature eight ATP players, including Jamie and Andy Murray, across six days of action.
"I just think it is poor example to set," Battle of the Brits participant Dan Evans said. "Even if the guidelines in that country are not two metres...it is not a joke is it? Even if the guidelines were taken away in this country to normal I would still be trying to keep myself out of the way as much as I could from other people. I just think there has been a total disregard to that."
Andy Murray will also compete in the event in Roehampton.
"All countries, obviously, have different rules in place," Murray said. "But I think, though, once you start to bring in international travel into it, and players are coming in and team members from all different parts of the world.
"You need to make sure you're taking all the correct measures, all the precautions that you can, to try avoid a situation like they got into over there."