CoCo Vandeweghe has been forced to postpone the start of her 2019 season and will miss the Australian Open with a foot injury.
It's disappointing news especially given that Melbourne is where the 27-year-old reached her first Grand Slam semifinal in 2017. That run catapulted a career-best season that saw her reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals and US Open semifinals before achieving a career-high ranking of No. 10. She also led the United States to the Fed Cup title.
The 2018 season didn't go as well—at least on the singles court. She has dropped down to No. 100 after reaching just one final in Stuttgart back in April.
But on the doubles court, Vandeweghe thrived in winning the Miami Open and her first Grand Slam, at the US Open (both with Ashleigh Barty). The pair ended their great year with a semifinal finish in Singapore.
This Week on Tennis Channel and Tennis Channel Plus
ATP/WTA Sydney (1/5 to 1/12)
• Stefanos Tsitsipas, Frances Tiafoe, Simona Halep and Sloane Stephens headline the Sydney International. Watch live coverage on Tennis Channel Plus.
WTA Hobart (1/5 to 1/11)
• Watch the action from the Hobart International featuring Caroline Garcia, Belinda Bencic and Maria Sakkari.
ATP Auckland (1/6 to 1/11)
• See John Isner and Fabio Fognini live on Tennis Channel Plus beginning Monday, Jan. 7 at 6:00 pm ET.
FAST 4—Sydney (1/7)
• The game’s best compete in the always entertaining Fast4 format, with appearances by Nick Kyrgios, Grigor Dimitrov and Milos Raonic. Live coverage begins on Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:30pm ET.
World Tennis Challenge—Adelaide (1/7 to 1/9)
• Watch Borna Coric, CoCo Vandeweghe and Victoria Azarenka live from Adelaide starting Monday, Jan. 7 at 3:00 am ET.
AO Qualifying Rounds (1/8 to 1/11)
• Australian Open officially begins with qualifying action. Tennis Channel Plus has fall the action live! Coverage begins Tuesday, Jan. 8 at 6:00 pm ET.