As the world turns its eye to Paris for the French Open, Baseline and Tennis.com partnered with Sinclair stations to get us in the mood for Roland Garros. Both sites will showcase a French food recipe from eight of the top French restaurants from around the country.
Chef Mark Courseille from Le Café Descartes joined WJLA Washington to create a French Rhubarb and Strawberry Tart.
Serving Size: 6 people
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, in chunks
- 4-6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2-3 cups rhubarb, finely diced
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- Zest of one small orange
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Apricot jam or red currant jelly, warmed
For the tart pastry, place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse to blend dry ingredients. Add in the chunks of butter and pulse to make a grainy mixture. Add in the cream, a few tablespoons at a time and pulse until you have a mixture that holds together, adding in additional cream if required.
Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently to form a dough. Pat into a disc, wrap and refrigerate 1-4 hours.
Meanwhile prepare the fruit. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out the tart dough on a floured work surface. Fold it in flour and transfer to a 9 or 10-inch tart or quiche pan, pressing the dough snugly onto the pan and into the fluted edges. Trim pastry so it is flush with the pan edges. Place on the baking sheet.
Toss rhubarb, strawberries and orange zest together in a bowl and then gently arrange in the tart shell as snugly as possible. Fruit should fill up pan; if you need more fruit, add either rhubarb or more berries.
In a medium bowl or food processor, blend the together the cream cheese, sugar, whipping cream, eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour over the fruit. Place it carefully in the oven. Bake until set, 60-75 minutes or until custard seems set and rhubarb and strawberries seems softened.
Cool 10-15 minutes before brushing with warmed apricot jam or red currant jelly.
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for Roland Garros to watch 200 live matches from up to five courts, starting with the Qualifying Rounds.
· Watch the Best of Roland Garros 2016 on-demand at any time
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for all of Roland Garros, as well as 650+ live events all year long
· Tennis Channel Plus is available on any streaming device, on mobile, always on the GO (desktop, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire)
· Subscribe today at BuyTCPlus.com